Monday, January 17, 2011

Week of January 17 - 21

A Special Thank You to Second Grade

Dear Second Grade Families,
      I want to thank you all so much for making my birthday so special this year! All of the attention, care, and lovely gifts that you showered on me this week made me feel so loved and appreciated, and I am truly grateful and most appreciative.
      I would like to thank the students in particular for the gifts of my favorite flowers. I received enough to have a bouquet in each room of my home, and the resulting aroma is so sweet and beautiful. Several of the buds blossomed over the weekend, and each day I was surprised and delighted to see new lilies opening their petals to the light.
      I am also particularly indebted to all of your families for contributing to the fantastic scrapbook I received on Friday. I have been showing it off proudly to my friends and family all weekend. I feel so blessed to work with such beautiful, intelligent, and caring students. I get emotional every time I peruse the pages. This will be my favorite keepsake in the years to come.
      I am so thankful to the families who contributed to my week of birthday treats, including my favorite snacks, candies, hobbies, scents, and a fantastic lunch on Thursday! I spent a little bit of time each day indulging in some of my favorite things, and I so appreciate the effort you made to make me feel special. I also want to thank those of you who spent time picking out something personal for me. I received some beautiful gifts from my students on Friday (including a sweet pink polka-dotted package with some of my favorite soaps and lotions, but no name!). Each of these special gifts will resonate with me as I look back fondly on my first class of students at St. Jerome.
      Thank you, thank you, thank you for your love, support, and dedication,
                                                                                                           Ms. White
     
Announcements for this Week:

Progress Reports
Progress Reports for the Second Trimester will be sent home on Tuesday, January 18.

January Book Order
The Scholastic Book Order for January is DUE on Friday, January 21.

Our Star of the Week is: Morgan Bart

Curriculum Update:
Reading: Liking Our Differences, Comprehension Strategy: Summarize
Math: Review Graphing and Data Analysis, Test Friday
Religion: Sacrament of Reconciliation (confession, penance, pardon)
English: Review of Verbs, Verb Agreement, and Verb Tense, Test Thursday
Social Studies: Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., Working Together for Change
 
Science: Food Webs in Grassland and Ocean Environments (food webs)

Looking Ahead:

Career Day
Our Second Grade Career Day will be on Monday, January 24 from 9:00 AM - 10: 30 AM and 11:00 AM - 12:00 PM. Please think about being a presenter! I am seeking parents and family members who would be willing to spend 15 - 2o minutes talking about their careers with the second graders. The presentations would take place in our classroom on Monday, January 24 from 9:00 AM - 10: 30 AM and 11:00 AM - 12:00 PM. Please return the slip attached to the Career Report information sheet if you are interested in being a presenter. 

Career Report
The Career Report is DUE on Monday, January 24. This assignment will require students to research the career of a family member or family friend. The goals of this assignment will be for students to 1) develop their ideas about work and how people provide goods or services to earn an income, 2) enrich their understanding of how people work together to achieve goals, and 3) inspire them to think about how people use their God-given skills and talents to serve Him and others. Students should work on this assignment at home although steps of the writing process will be supported at school. The assignment will also include a visual component, such as a photograph, drawing, painting, or collage. Students will be presenting their reports to the class during the week of January 24 - 28. Students may dress in a costume that represents their desired career or the career they researched on Monday, January 24. Please email me with questions at whitesjs@gmail.com.

General Parent Meeting
The Parent Meeting will take place in the Parish Hall on Tuesday, January 25 at 6:00 PM. We will discuss ITBS results and Catholic Schools Week at the meeting.

Catholic Schools Week: A + for America!
We will begin Catholic Schools Week with by celebrating Catholic school in our parish on Sunday, January 30. Students should attend the 9:00 AM Mass at St. Jerome Church in their uniforms to serve as greeters and sing in the choir. As an extra incentive, students who check in with me at Mass in their uniforms will have Non-Uniform Dress on Tuesday, February 1.

Also, St. Jerome School is putting together a slide show to celebrate and pray for veterans as part of our Catholic Schools Week celebration. If you or a member of your family has served in the armed forces, please send in a photo to contribute to our presentation. Students will provide voiceover narration for the photos, and we will all pray together for our servicemen and women, past and present. Please send in your photos by Friday, January 21.

Homework for This Week:

Monday
No School

Tuesday
Practice Book p. 231 - 232
Math p. 42
Spelling Scramble
Work on Career Report

Wednesday
Practice Book p. 238
Math Review Sheet
Spelling Sentences
Work on Career Report
Study for English Test

Thursday -  English Test
Practice Book p. 244
Science Worksheet
Work on Career Report
Study for Spelling and Math Tests

Friday
Spelling and Word Knowledge Test
-includes Spelling and Dictation, Sentences, Syllabication,
  Synonyms/Antonyms, and ABC Order
Vocabulary and Comprehension Quiz
Math Test

Spelling Words

book
hood
shook
stood
took
wood

beautiful
become
even
great
together

bigger
littlest

Dictation Sentence

Even though my brother is bigger than me, we still read books together.

No comments:

Post a Comment